Frequently asked questions

1. How long does the program take?

Four semesters (two years).

2. Where is the program offered?

The program is offered at the 'TUM School of Life Sciences Weihenstephan' (WZW) in Freising, a small, historical city located in the north of Munich. The city has much to offer both in terms of social and cultural activities. The direct train connection to the close-by Munich offers an additional rich resource of extra curricular activities.

3. When does the program start?

The master program can be started in either winter (application deadline: 31.05.) or summer term (application deadline: 15.01.). The winter term starts in October, the summer term starts in April. Please follow this link to see all relevant dates and deadlines at TUM.

4. May I start the program also in summer term?

The master program can also be started in summer term, whereby most TUM students commence their studies in winter term.

5. What are the academic and procedural requirements for admission?

Eligibility for the master's program is given if a Bachelor of Science degree has been completed above average at a university or a technical college (Fachhochschule), in a study program belonging to the Life Sciences, either in Germany or abroad. Such qualifying study programs are for example Horticultural and/or Agricultural Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Forestry, Biology or Molecular Biotechnology.

Furthermore, applicants must have an adequate knowledge of English (language of instruction in the master's program).

If these qualification are given prospective students may apply and an admission procedure will be initiated (including aptitute test, that must be passed successfully).

The master's program requires the submission of an online application form submitted to the TUM and the payment of a semester fee, which is Euro 129,4 € at present. No tuition fees arise at TUM!

The window for the online application process is from March 1st to May 31st for a start in winter term or from September 1st to December 31st for a start in summer term.

6. How do I prove my proficiency in English?

Adequate knowledge of English must be demonstrated through an acknowledged language test. Such as IELTS (score of at least 6,5) or the completion of lectures worth at least 15 ECTS in English during prior studies. Native English speakers do not have to demonstrate proficiency. For more detailed information about TUM's requirements of Language Certificates please follow this link.

7. What are the contents of the apitude test?

The apitude test is an informal conversation (either personally, by phone or Skype), which intends to determine the motivation of the candidate to participate in the study program and to evaluate, if the expectations of the student can be met by the offered contends. Moreover, it is also conceived to provide background information on the contents of the master program and answer other questions that may prevail.
Please make yourself familiar with the programs contents before the test!

8. Does the program offer any scholarships?

No, the program itself does not. However, the TUM offers a number of different scholarships in particular also for international students. For details click here.

9. Where can I find information about housing in Freising?

Finding accommodation in Freising can be challenging. It is therefore recommended to organise it well in advance. For more informatioin about housing please read the informations about how to find accomondation provided by TUM and get yourself familiar to the student accomondation offered by the Munich Student Union.

10. Where can I find information and assistance?

The TUM homepage and especially the information gathered here are guiding you through your studies (e.g. learning, application, during studies).

Online information can be found at the TUM student service center website.

International applicants are required to have sufficient funds to cover their expenses completely while attending the course. Moreover, a health insurance is mandatory for international students.

For specific questions please get in touch with Dr. Eva Bauer who is providing administrative support in particular also for the international students in the master Horticultural Science.

11. What will my academic program look like?

The master's program has an unique structure since students perform part of their training at a partner university. During your first semester you will study at TUM and will attend the compulsory core modules Ecophysiology, Crop Physiology, Crop Quality, Crop Biotechnology and Research Project Management in Economics. In your second and third semster you are free to choose modules from a course pool, which is assembled by all partners, according to your interests, whereby at least 20 ECTS must be completed at a partner institution. Term four is a research semester in which you will complete your master thesis. A parallel course in research management is compulsory.

Since there are different models to complete this master one teacher, which you will choose in term one, will act as your personal tutor and will assist you in compiling your individual course scheme.

12. What is required for a double degree?

If you are aiming for a double degree (a degree from a partner university in addition to your TUM degree) you are required to complete modules worth at least 30 ECTS at the anticipated partner university. In addition, some partner universities require to supervise or co-supervise your master's thesis.

13. Are all of the programs' courses/modules offered in English?

All modules in the master's program are offered in English, both at TUM and the partner universities.

14. How do I register for courses?

By using TUM online you can register for most of the courses offered at TUM. Not all courses require (or enable) a registration though. Please double-check the procedure with the responsible lecturer.

15. I am getting ready to prepare my master thesis what should I know?

The master's thesis shall include experimental and analytical aspects and shall refine your professional profile. You can freely choose a supervisor and co-supervisor among the lecturers of the program for your work. If you pick your supervisor from the TUM your thesis will be co-supervised by a lecturer of one of the partner universities.

Due to its scientific excellence with international reputation, the TUM offers a rich spectrum of possibilities for thesis projects. The research interests and a selection of current options for thesis projects are introduced by lecturers of the master's program Horticultural Science in our study guide from page 34. In exceptional circumstances the examination board may also grant permission to perform a thesis externally. However, a lecturer from the program has to act as an internal supervisor.

When you are ready to start your thesis please register by completing the required forms.

16. How are the job perspectives with a master degree in Horticultural Science?

The job perspectives with a master in Horticultural Science are excellent. The studies qualify for executive positions in enterprises of horticulture and related industries such as sectors of the pharmaceutical industry active in agricultural and horticultural plant production. Owing to its scientific education it prepares in particular for research and development activities in the areas of plant breeding, plant production, plant protection, plant nutrition and pre and post harvest quality management.

Moreover an advanced degree in the horticultural sciences (at the master or doctorate level) qualifies for research positions in academic or non-academic research institutions, in federal research facilities such as the German 'Landesanstalten', but also for research and teaching positions at colleges or universities active in horticulture or related fields. Also, positions in federal ministries, governmental agricultural departments, horticultural associations, or international organizations such as the EU, the UNO or the WHO are employment possibilities. Other examples of job opportunities are positions in research funding organizations, in scientific or agricultural/horticultural journalism, or in the field of intellectual property right or plant variety protection.